The Evanston Environmental Association (EEA), Nature’s Perspective Landscaping, Logic Lawn Care, and Greenwise with support from the City of Evanston, are proud to present Livable Landscapes - a program designed to help Evanston community members develop solutions to storm water management on their own property.
The Livable Landscapes program consists of workshops, a supporting guide, and a specially designed set of stormwater absorbing plants that can be ordered online.
All proceeds from Livable Landscapes will go to the Evanston Environmental Association.
- There is a minimum purchase order of $50 before tax to participate in the program. Taxes will be included in your purchase.
- The program will be active from April through July of this year or until the plants allocated to the program are sold out.
- Orders are to be picked up from Nature's Perspective, located at 2000 Greenleaf St. Check back at this website page for scheduled pick-up dates.
- Participants are encouraged to download and review the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association's Guide to Small-Scale Rain Gardens by Kevin Herbet. This is a great guide for novices and seasoned rain garden experts made available for free by the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association (ILCA).
- Click the "Order Your Plants" button below to access the Livable Landscapes shopping cart application.
- Once in the shopping application, select your plants in one or both of the following ways (remember there is a $50 minimum order):
- Select your plants and their quantities from these categories:
- Partly Shady Plants
- Sunny Plants
- Both Partly Shady and Sunny Tolerant Plants
- Select a pre-designed rain garden from the "Pre-Designed Gardens" category to install yourself or request that it be installed by Nature's Perspective. Prices in the shopping cart do not include any labor costs.
- On the Checkout page, enter all the required information and then select the Payment Method:
- Credit Card or Paypal. After clicking the "Place Order" button, on the next page you will select a "Continue" button that will take you to PayPal's website to complete the payment. There, you will be given you the option to pay with a debit or credit card, or you can login and pay using your PayPal account if you have one.
- Check by Mail. After clicking "Place Order", you will be shown the information to create a check and mail it to pay for your order.
- Upon submission of your order you will receive a summary of your order in the form of an email. All sales are final. Once payment is submitted no refunds will be issued.
You are also invited to attend one of the workshops on rain gardens that will be held at the Evanston Ecology Center with landscape experts from Nature's Perspective and Logic Lawn Care. Workshop details are provided below:
- Learn how to plant and maintain rain gardens and install rain barrels. Livable Landscapes focuses on providing technical support, resources and options to Evanston community members on how to use water-absorbing and habitat-friendly landscaping practices in their yards. Both can help manage flooding, reduce water consumption and benefit your home.
- Location: Evanston Ecology Center
- Age: 16 yrs. and up
- Length: 1 session
- Fee: Free
- 113149A6 Thursday, April 28, 6 to 8pm
- 113149B6 Thursday, May 26, 6 to 8pm
- 123115A6 Monday, June 20, 6 to 8pm
Click on the "Register for Workshop" button below to register online, or call 847 448-8256.
Livable Landscapes is also promoting and supportive of two related partner programs:
- Natural Habitat Evanston - a Citizens' Greener Evanston (CGE) program to create, restore and conserve habitat for birds and pollinators, and to help Evanston achieve National Wildlife Federation certification as a Community Habitat.
- Residential Rain Barrel Program - a program offered by the City of Evanston and the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District (MWRD) that provides free rain barrels and free rain barrel delivery to all eligible Evanston residential property owners.
Thank you for your interest in this exciting program! We are thrilled that you are interested in using native plants and landscaping techniques to enhance your yard and mitigate the impact of storm water runoff. If you have any questions or issues, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org